Thursday, April 28, 2011

W is for Waffles

I thought of doing wine but waffles are just so darn good!  I usually take and make a whack of them, cool them, and then freeze them in bread bags to put in the toaster for later on.

This is a basic recipe that you can add your own flavourings to.  Flavourings like vanilla, almond extract, ground nuts, chocolate powder or whatever strikes your fancy.

Waffles

1 3/4 cup flour
2 tsp. baking powder (I use double action baking powder.)
1/2 tsp. sugar ( sometimes I leave it out)
3 eggs, separated
1 3/4 cups milk
6 tsp melted butter or oil (I usually do half and half because I like the flavour of butter but not the saturated fat.)


Combine the flour with the other dry goods.

Mix egg yolks with milk and melted butter.  I warm the milk just slightly so the butter doesn't harden back up.

Add to the dry mixture just until moistened - they will turn out tough if you mix them too much.

Beat egg whites in a separate bowl until you get peaks but not stiff peaks.

Let sit for about 5 minutes.

Heat up the waffle iron and grease lightly.

Add batter and cook until steam has stopped coming out the sides.

Gently lift the lid - if it sticks it might need a minute more or you to loosen it manually.  It should be light golden brown.

For special occasions serve with whip cream and strawberries.  Otherwise, serve with some syrup and fruit.

Enjoy!!

1 comment:

  1. Yummy. I don't make waffles, not having a waffle iron, but I do occasionally make and freeze pancakes. I like to use whole wheat and oats in my pancakes, can you do the same with waffles?

    ReplyDelete