Wednesday, April 4, 2012

E is for Elocution and Education

The iris symbolizes wisdom. These are a miniature 6" irises from my garden.
The Oxford dictionary defines elocution as a noun meaning "art of expressive speech".  I just love that word! How many times have you stood before a group, not necessarily a large group, floundering and wondering what on earth happened?  Then there are those who can stand up and speak so well expressing their thoughts (and it seems like the thoughts of others) so well?

Many eons ago, I used to debate during my high school years at a competition level.  Me! Truly!  Now, I am lucky if I can stand up and acknowledge that I exist.  I think when I was younger it didn't occur to me that I was supposed to be nervous at these competitions.  I just figured it was a lark and that I could argue in a civilized manner without getting in trouble with my parents.  Even when I competed with my partner, at a provincial level, it was no big deal.  Today, I realize that it was a really big deal and I am still in awe that I could get up in front of judges, competitors and the public to speak, rebut and actually enjoy it.  I think the harshest criticism I got from a judge was that I really didn't have to push my facts down my opponents throats.  I was absolutely shocked because I thought that slaughtering my opponent in a civilized manner was what I was supposed to do.  Other judges would back me on it but it made me think.

My father was very proud of my accomplishments and encouraged me to keep going with my education.  I remember one quiet Sunday afternoon when my mom was out and I was commenting on how one of my teachers was not the best at what she did.  His comment was that learning came in many forms and to just hang in there.  I still remember him saying very passionately that "People can take a lot of things away from you but they can never take away your education!"  You know, he was so right because you will always know what you know.

3 comments:

  1. What a wise father you had! I like the idea that we learn even from the "bad" teachers.

    Nice to meet you and I hope you're enjoying the Challenge!

    KarenG
    A to Z Challenge Host

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that saying about education - it truly is one thing that no one can take away from you! I used to love to stand up and give speeches in high school, it was like an adrenaline rush. Now, if I have to, I wing it and tend to ramble too much. I still like doing it but you would think the more you do it, the better you would be; I think I'm getting worse. Great "E" challenge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome to my blog,Karen and Adena - My father was a intelligent man who lacked a formal education himself but valued it highly.

      Delete