Monday, April 9, 2012

H is for home


Home

Home.  The word conjures of thoughts of warm quilts, satisfying foods, family and pets.  It is where we go to recharge and get our thoughts together. 

When my husband and I were first married, we lived in an extremely old trailer for a very brief period of time.  The only thing good about it was the view and my husband. Truly.  It leaked, it was smelly and should have been destroyed years before but the rent the was so cheap and it enabled us to purchase our first home shortly after.  (Thank goodness!)

Our first (officially ours) home was a three bedroom bungalow that was so dirty that the off-white carpet in the master bedroom was gray and it took three of us an entire morning to clean out the laundry room because they had been venting it inside the house without a filter.  Despite all that, we gave a it a nice coat of paint, cleaned up the yard and it turned out to be a lovely little bungalow for the year that we were in it.  I rather like that house.  We had great neighbours and it was just nice.  When we sold it, made a little bit on it that helped us to buy our next home, where we lived for over fourteen years.

I loved my second house but as our children grew older we realized that it was pretty tight quarters.  When we would open our closet doors in the master bedroom, we had to climb over the bed to get to the other side of the room.  The two girls rooms were not much better for space.  Our yard had been bald-ass prairie when we moved in and by the time we sold it, it was like a beautiful park.  I swear that was why the next couple that lived there purchased it.  They got married in the back yard shortly after they moved in.  We made a bit on it when we sold and purchased a lovely sixties-style two-story that we absolutely love.  Sure it needs newer flooring and some updating but it has been a wonderful home to live in.  We have a gorgeous yard and mature trees.  Our neighbours are the nicest people you could ever meet. It has been a great home to have raised the girls in.

Now the girls are gone to their own homes. We are possibly looking at something a bit smaller again and thinking of a somewhat rural area with a couple acres.  It is going to have to be pretty gorgeous for us to consider moving though.  Our home is very much home to us and it will take a pretty special place to even think of moving.

11 comments:

  1. The thing that really makes a home is the memories there. I still consider the house I grew up in "home" even though I've since started a new home with my own family. Hopefully they will have the same good memories of their home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. home is where the heart is

    do check out my letters at GAC a-z

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your current home is absolutely gorgeous and I have always loved your back yard, possibly one of the loveliest and most comfortable I have ever spent time in.

    We're also thinking downsizing at some point, but we have soooo much fixing up of the homestead to do first.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi...I'm hopping over from the A to Z challenge. Lovely blog...good luck with the challenge!

    Donna L Martin
    www.donasdays.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. i hope you find a place gorgeous enough for you to enjoy:)
    Nutschell
    www.thewritingnut.com
    Happy A-Zing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Home is truly made of memories. My parents moved when I completed high school so I never really had an opportunity to return to my "home", Laurita.

      So true Pa UI.

      Thanks, Barb - we really love our home that is why it will have to be something pretty nice before we consider leaving it. We have a lot of fixing and updating to do too, Barb. sigh.

      Thanks, Donna!

      It would be nice and hopefully possible. I don't want to leave our community so something just outside would be ideal, Nutshell.

      Delete
  6. Oh, I really like that stone walkway you have. But one thing I see in that same picture is something I wouldn't like doing - raking leaves!

    While I absolutely love and appreciate gardens, grass, flowers, etc., I cannot stand to do the work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely garden in the pictures. :-)

    We're hoping to buy our family's first home in 18 years.

    Up to now, my parents just rented.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Homes are wherever people care for each other. I'm trying to visit all the A-Z Challenge Blogs this month.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good luck finding the perfect little acreage to move to (if you decide to move) :) Thank you for sharing some recollections of your past homes. The description of the trailer and the house with the tiny bedrooms made me smile and it was kinda fun to see how you kept trading up :)

    ~ Rhonda Parrish

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love home! We've lived in ours for 18 years. We've outgrown it, but it is so HOME. Our kids are going to be so sad to leave here when we move!

    ReplyDelete