Friday, April 20, 2012

O is for "O Canada"

"O Canada".  Our national anthem.  It has been much maligned in recent years.  Many young people no longer know the words because they are not expected to sing it every morning at the start of the school day.  Older individuals have become a wee bit confused because it got shortened not too long ago and are stuck on the older version and rather than embarrass themselves singing it incorrectly, they stand quietly.

I like our anthem, especially the original form before they changed the words and shortened it.  We should be proud to stand at attention and, just for a couple minutes each day, take the time to reflect on all of what being a Canadian means.  It is ok, as well, to actually stand at attention, not lean against a desk or stay seated or worse just completely ignore it.  Many Canadians have worked hard to make our country the wonderful place that it is.

Being Canadian is special and "O Canada" is just our reminder to pause and remember.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRPGPAnPNa8

5 comments:

  1. I always wonder at the singers who forget the words to the national anthem. I couldn't forget them if I tried. I really do like Oh Canada, but my favourite anthem is another 'O' - the Ode to Newfoundland, which is a beautiful song. Does Manitoba have a provincial anthem?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post :) I don't know the words to the English national anthem very well (I know, it doesn't have very many words to it) but these days we don't sing it so often :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like O Canada as well, and I always sing along if I am at an event where it is played. After all, how often do you get the chance to bellow out a song with thousands of people?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like that song. Can't remember where I heard it since I've never been to Canada. Probably a TV show. I think loving one's country is the least they could do. Sad how many people forget to ask what they can do for their country.

    ScribblesFromJenn
    Happy A to Z-ing!

    ReplyDelete